Thursday, August 11, 2011

spiritual leprosy

do you ever feel like you're the elephant in the room?  

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a dear friend of mine.  He's also LDS, and went through a divorce many years ago.  The conversation went something like this...

friend - "so, how are you holding up?"

Danny - "I'm alright, I'm taking things one day at a time."

friend - "that's about all you can do huh?"

Danny - "Yes, at least for now."

Danny - "You never told me that everyone would be awkward about divorce"

friend - "welcome to leprosy"

From Elder Eyring on his talk on Adversity...

"What touches me is to hear, as I have, of an older widow whom I was intending to visit again having been inspired to visit a younger widow to comfort her. A widow needing comfort herself was sent to comfort another. The Lord helped and blessed two widows by inspiring them to encourage each other. So He gave succor to them both."

At the end of each blog I'm going to interject some of my own experiences with the hope that they may be of comfort and warning to others.  Sometimes, when we know of someone who is struggling, who's weak, who's heartbroken, or scared, offer comfort and help but remember that they're wanting more than anything to just feel "normal" again.  

Whatever you're doing right now STOP.  Go tell your spouse that you love her/him.  Give them a hug and a kiss.  If they're not with you, make a phone call or send a text message.  Please, go do it now.  They may be questioning how much you love them...


No comments:

Post a Comment